We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought: This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age. I thought "Vienna waits for you..."

-Billy Joel

Thursday, November 24, 2011

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! :)

This is my first Thanksgiving away from home and it didn't really hit me until this morning when I woke up without my family to watch the Thanksgiving Parade with, no smell of a turkey already starting to cook, and not one ad  for Black Friday sitting on the counter. Well shoot! I will miss this all including watching football, taking a long snooze after eating, and being with my favorite people in the world.


I'm thankful for this opportunity to be in Vienna and travel Europe. I have learned much.
I'm thankful for Christ, for the knowledge I have that he is always there no matter what.
I'm thankful for my family, because without them I would be a sad little girl I know they will always love me no matter what.
I'm thankful for two feet and a healthy body that both allow me to do what I could never imagine not doing-dance.
I'm thankful for the people I have met here in Austria. They are all amazing, and I know my relationships with them will last. 
I'm thankful that I have a roof to live under, clothes to wear, and food to eat while so many unfortunately do not.
I'm thankful for education. Knowledge is the one thing no one can ever take away from you. 
I'm thankful for my best friends Louisa Matthews and Brittany Carson,
 for letting me be the crazy person I am and still loving me like a sister.
I'm thankful for all my other friends who have made a difference in my life and helped me along.

This is maybe the first time that my excitement of getting home to Oregon has outweighed my distress of leaving Vienna. One month at home during the holidays to spend time with family and friends-it will be great!   

Tonight the Austro-American Institute is having a Thanksgiving dinner for us at a restaurant somewhere in town. We are all wearing our dirndls so that should be fun! :)


We dressed up like an Indian and Pilgrim and handed out hand turkeys to everyone! Haha :)


1 comment: