We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought: This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age. I thought "Vienna waits for you..."

-Billy Joel

Monday, November 28, 2011

I Hate That There's No Vowels In The Name "Ischgl"

This last weekend I snowboarded in Ischgl, Austria. AKA The Alps. One more thing to check off my bucket list! :)


We went by train on Friday morning to St. Anton (near Innsbruck, Austria). We were sitting by a random guy, and I noticed he had a cast on his arm, so I asked what happened, and he told me it was from snowboarding. We all talked a bit more and found out he was from Switzerland heading to all these crazy places. Then the arm came up again, and I asked if he snowboards a lot. His words were: “Well…yeah I mean...I snowboard for a living.” WHAT?! Ok. First we meet the Napal Soccer Team on a train then a professional snowboarder? Awesome. Meet Martin Seiler yall. 



We got there in the late afternoon. It was a hike up to our hotel which meant the view of the Alps was amazing! Very picturesque. :)



My friend Robert from Vienna lent me his board, boots, and snow clothes. What a gem! Cool snowboard right? The front said "McDrivin". Baha! I'm lovin' it. :)

Amanda, Kendal, Elysse, Lyndsi, Ashley, Becca and I! Party!

Just going around town.

The Ski Resort (Ischgl) was half in Austria and half in SWITZERLAND! Make that 9 countries I've been to in the past 3 months. :) 

Tired snowboard bum=

Although pretty icey and mostly artificial snow (bad snow year here), we had a blast! Nothing beat my first run of the season-happy to be on a board again and what better place than on the Alps?! :D

We got to the train station to find out that our train was an hour late. Then to find out that it was in fact, cancelled. Um...what?

Sooner or later we got home at 4 AM and woke up for church the next day. What an adwenture as the Austrians would say! 


No comments:

Post a Comment