We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought: This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age. I thought "Vienna waits for you..."

-Billy Joel

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Firenze!

So...Cinque Terre, Italy was our original weekend plans. It's a series of 5 beautiful cities on the coast and we were so excited! However the day before we were leaving, we found out that the city was flooded due to hurricanes. Sad! However, we were going to switch trains in Florence anyway, so we decided to keep the tickets and just stay in Florence. SWEET! I have a friend from high school that is studying abroad there now, so she gave us the inside scoop and told us the best places to go. Perfect!

Ponte Vecchio Bridge! Beautiful. 

We left on a night train on Thursday night at 7. There were crazy Italian men in our train car who were...very forward and Italian. Haha. We arrived at 6 AM, slept in the train station for a bit then...got ready in a McDonalds. You read that correctly. 

We then found our hostel, then went to The Accademia Gallery to see Michelangelo's DAVID! Let me just say...it really is an amazing sight!  That museum was way cool and so worth the money and time! Oh and...I have never seen more Vespas in my life. It was great! 

After the museum we found a place to eat lunch. I ATE REALLY ITALIAN FOOD! Dream come true...Dream. Come. True. And i'm not kidding when I say I have never had better gelato in my life! After lunch it was off to the leather market. Florence is known for their leather...and now I understand why! That market was amazing and there was a lot of beautiful things!

That night we all slept like babies. On Saturday morning we woke up and went to Uffizi Art Museum. Also a really cool museum and this is where The Birth of Venus by Botticelli is!
Next stop....SURPRISE!
Yep, an hour train ride to PISA!! The leaning tower was leaning a lot more than I thought...dang! SO COOL! The cathedral next to it is also really cool. There isn't a ton to do in Pisa, so we stayed long enough to see the tower and get the best panini I have ever tasted. Back to Florence!
When we got back we went to the square where the second David stands and to Michelangelo's hill where the third statue of David stands. We went when it was dark and the view of Florence was impeccable! Our night train left at 10 that night. I woke up on Sunday early morning to a beautiful view of the Alps with the trees in full fall colors. Took my breath away!


Loved this.


Look at that stud! Must love Stephen. 

Michelangelo's Hill


YES



No comments:

Post a Comment