We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought: This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age. I thought "Vienna waits for you..."

-Billy Joel

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Willkommen in Wien! :)

Today was great! We went to a ward where young single adults came from all over Austria to spend the weekend with the Institute. Fun to talk to natives! :) It’s been extremely hot and humid here. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m so ready for colder weather! 

Yesterday I:

1. Went to the Austro-Amerika Institut for the first time which is where we have class. One floor of a cute building and of course beautiful like everything else here! I’m excited to start classes.


2. Went to the Naschmarkt for lunch. Amazing and it's there every day. Vendors, food, produce, so fun.

3. Ordered lunch for the first time in German. Ich mochte ein hühnerschnitzelsemmel bitte!

4. Attempted to barter in German-I’ve never felt so American. But hey, I’m trying!

5. Developed a new obsession: chocolate croissants.

6. Met my host family. Ashley Curtis is my roommate and she is just amazing! I love her and we get along great. Our hosts are in their 80’s and insist we call the Oma and Opa. Are you kidding? Could they be any cuter?  They live on the first floor, have a daughter on the second, and we live on the 3rd floor with the daughter’s host students. They are super nice! Another one of their daughters live next door. They have 4 grandsons. Heey! ;)

7. Unpacked, updated my blog and wrote in my journal. We are lucky to have wifi here. It is very rare that homes have wifi because it costs a lot per minute and electricity is expensive. I will take advantage of it but don’t want to waste time on it. We also have our own kitchen and bathroom to share with the other two girls. So. Nice.

3 comments:

  1. looks like a BLAST! you're so cute ali :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AliBabba! That sounds so fun! Oma and Opa...so adorable :) Keep havin fun girl!
    -kearabagera

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah everytime you write in german i can hear your voice. and then i laugh.. really hard! haha love you!so happy you got a BLOG!

    ReplyDelete