We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought: This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age. I thought "Vienna waits for you..."

-Billy Joel

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jetlag?

I can't believe I can actually say this but...I live in Austria! :) Yes, I'm an official Viennese resident. Check it.


Kiersten and I are sitting in our hotel room (which is the cutest room EVER). We. Are. Dead. We arrived in Vienna around 9 AM this morning, which leaves my body thinking it's midnight. I slept on the plane a lot though so I've made it walking around town until now!

VIENNA IS AMAZING! The people are so friendly, the architecture is all so beautiful and everything is in german! Everything...is in german. Haha! Fun. :) Here's the view from our window! I'll definitely be putting more pictures up.

So I step out of the Vienna Airport and decide to be a typical American Tourist for a second and snap a picture at something random. Whelp, my camera lens wouldn't go back in! It broke. Of course. The instant i get there! Kiersten and I felt really cool when an Austrian gave us the address to a repair shop and were able to find it and manage to communicate with people that spoke nearly 10 words of english. Exploring the city of Vienna was a lot of fun.

I've eaten like 5 meals in the past 24 hours with the plane and the Minerts (program professors) feeding us. Ohhh heck. Big day tomorrow- the Austro-Amerika Institut Advisor is taking us the school for orientation stuff and taking us around town to show us where everything is. And we meet our host families tomorrow! :)

That was really supposed to be posted yesterday...but no internet. Another post coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment