We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought: This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age. I thought "Vienna waits for you..."

-Billy Joel

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Toronto!

I’m in Toronto! AKA…I got my very first stamp in my passport! YES! :D The plane ride wasn’t bad. I read, slept a bit, and watched Midnight in Paris. Meh, wasn’t too impressed!

My mom drove me to the airport at 5 AM (woof…) and our plane didn’t leave until after 8-over an hour late! I met up with two people from my group-Kiersten and Stephen who are also from the Portland area. They are super nice and fun and I’m excited to meet the rest of the group and get to know everyone!



The plane to Vienna boards in the next few minutes. I’m going to try to sleep as if it’s a regular night even though I’m still on Portland time. So I’ll feel like its 3 PM but have to act like it’s midnight! This will be very interesting. I hope jetlag doesn’t hit me too hard!



Brother Minert claims he has a lot planned for us the moment we arrive in Vienna. Cool!! J

Maybe the stewardess will wear lederhosen and yodel down the aisles while serving us Weiner Schnitzel…

Baha!! Just kidding. That would be awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment