We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought: This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age. I thought "Vienna waits for you..."

-Billy Joel

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Week Number One!

Okay so I may have been slacking a little bit on this whole blog thing. So I’ll start with the past week then do another post about Budapest this past weekend!

Last Monday we started school. I love it because rather than just sitting in a classroom to learn about history we get to go out where the history actually took place! It means a lot more to me and makes it more fun to learn about. Both our history and art history teachers took us out through the town for a tour. I love hearing about the Holy Roman Empire and everything that took place back then! And German is really fun too-crazy how much faster you catch on when everyone speaks it around you!


Outside of the Intitute!

On Tuesday night, I went to a studio here in Wien and took a dance class in german. It was veryyy interesting! Haha! Very fun experience that was. On Wednesday, Herr Professor Minert took us to Prater Park-Vienna’s famous amusement park. We went on the ferris wheel which was, at the time, the largest one in the world. It was built in 1897. It took it’s tool with bombings and fires during war, but was renovated in 1947. It is HUGE! While eating pumpkin soup and goulash (DELICIOUS) with Oma and Opa we found out that Opa actually managed the wheel for a while because he is a mechanical engineer! J


However my favorite part was going on the 311 foot high swings. It was INSANE!! I love things like this but even I got way freaked out. Loved it!! Other than that my life consists of classes, dinner with the Institute or Oma and Opa, roaming and exploring Vienna and just finding other fun things to do.
:) :) :) 

Everywhere. From the Spanish Riding School.

Just a pretty building!

I really love it here. Throughout the week I stopped a couple of times and thought about how I actually got here. One day I have this crazy idea that I really want to study abroad and travel, and the next thing I know I’m here in a foreign country with 22 other amazing people. It literally all happened so fast and the fact that I randomly chose Vienna and randomly chose to come this semester makes me think twice about why I’m here. I look at each and every one of the people I’m here with and notice how well we all click and get along and it stops me in my tracks knowing that I’m here for a reason. I wish I knew what that reason was but I guess I will find out sooner or later! Makes me happy that I have this opportunity to learn so much and find my place. I’m so excited for what is to come! J

Similar to that was when Professor Roger Minert and his wife Jeanie were talking to all of us on Sunday night. They constantly are thanking us for taking initiative to come on this study abroad, and always want to make sure we know that they wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for us. They are both so passionate about German/Austrian history and culture and I find that so great! I’ve noticed it’s rare today to find people that passionate about something and really make time to involve it in their lives. Good for them! Roger and Jeanie are so sweet to each other and to us and I love having them as our leaders on this trip. 

Oma and Opa's House. :)

Oma and Opa's front door!

Our neighbors House. :) :) :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment