We put them in rest homes, we kinda kick them under the rug and make believe they don't exist. They [the people in Vienna] don't feel like that. In a lot of these older places in the world, they value their older people and their older people feel they can still be a part of the community and I thought: This is a terrific idea - that old people are useful -and that means I don't have to worry so much about getting old because I can still have a use in this world in my old age. I thought "Vienna waits for you..."

-Billy Joel

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Something About A Man In Lederhosen...

Last week we went to Salzburg, Haag, and Munich for 5 days total. We took a bus, and did SO much. Such a fun time!!! Here are some pictures a brief descriptions!
Our very first stop was Mathausen Concentration Camp. I really like learning about World War II and find it really interesting, so I was pretty excited. However I was still kind of shocked at the feeling I got while touring the camp. It was nothing but cold and dark and you just can't help but feel so many things for the prisoners that suffered there. Nonetheless it was good as it made me more fully understand the Holocaust the horrible things that took place at that time. I'm sure grateful that I live in the world that I do live in today!

The Minert's-aren't they adorable?! We love em. On a more unfortunate note, this is the stair case that prisons at the camp were forced to carry 50 pound slabs of granite down. This was a humbling and sobering experience that I won't forget.

Salzburg is a prett cool place. First of all it is absolutely breathtaking. Second of all, The Sound of Music was filmed there. SO naturally we went to most of the sites. YES! I'll be honest, I've only seen the movie twice but I do like it! 
Mondsee Kirche. This is the church that Maria and Captain Von Trapp got married in during the movie!

Look familiar?! Clue: "You are 16 going on 17..."

"I have confidence in confidence alone!"

  
"Doe: a deer, a female deer!" -Mirabell Castle and gardens
The Hellbrunn Castle. Okay now THIS is my castle because it's yellow. Nevermind the one in Budapest. This castle is yellow everywhere and I love it! It was a summer home for the Prince. No big deal. Haha! This castle is also known as the "water castle" because the gardens behind it have little trinkets that are water powered and holes where water comes out randomly. So you get wet when you least expect it. Very creative and fun!!!






This was in Salzburg. Just so happened it was St. Ruprecht's day and they had a huge festival!

The largest Science and Technology Museum in the world! It was awesome! Being in there reminded me of my dad. It's funny how I used to get bored at airplane museums and such but I like going now-he's rubbing off on me!

The Rathaus (city hall) in Munich, Germany! At noon the Glockenspiel goes off and plays a fun show. This afternoon we had free time to shop for Dirndls (they have pretty cheap ones there) and i found a steal of a deal!

My yellow Dirndl :) :) :)

Munich. :) From the top of a church.

Going to Oktoberfest sure was an adventure! 

The Herrenchiemsee Palace! King Ludwig I had it made for recognition to King Louis XIV. Inside there were rooms absolutely COVERED in gold making the most expensive rooms in all of Germany.





All of us at the Eagle's Nest. We're goofs and I love it. This tea house was given to Hitler for his 50th birthday. You ride up in specialized buses that can go very steep, go into the mountain in a tunnel, then ride up his private elevator. This place is insane. It's on the Appalachian Mountains and the view was exhilarating. I don't know how else to describe it, I could have sat up there for hours. I would highly recommend putting it on your bucket list! 

We stayed in the cutest hotel the last night of our trip and went to this church building on Sunday morning. It was my first German speaking ward without translation. Very..interesting. Haha! I could pick out few words yet I felt the spirit so strongly there. The people were kind and loving and were so excited/surprised to see 23 new faces walk in those doors!

In Haag.

On this trip we were able to see some church history sites. In class we have been learning about the first Austrian member-Johann Huber. We went to the farm he lived at, visited his gravestone, and went to other places that have to do with the church history in Austria. I never thought I would be so interested in the subject but I love it!



Typical.

No comments:

Post a Comment